Off-Campus Scholarships

An off-campus scholarship is a scholarship you receive from a granting organization other than BYU. The 529 Savings Plans are also processed through the Financial Aid Office.

BYU cannot process funds for BYU-Idaho or BYU-Hawaii students. Any funds received for these students will be returned to the granting organization.

To see your current and past awards, visit My Financial Center Scholarship Summary


Additional Off-Campus Resources

The BYU Financial Aid Office does not maintain a list of outside scholarships and is not able to assist you in locating additional scholarship opportunities.

Please be careful when seeking out scholarships. If the scholarship application requires a social security number, answers to personal identification questions (i.e. mother's maiden name, your first car, etc.), or requires a payment fee DO NOT apply. These are usually scams.


How and When Will I Get My Money?

The scholarship granting organization generally sends the money directly to BYU. This is how they verify that you are, in fact, an enrolled student.

The average processing time is 2-3 weeks from the date the funds are mailed to BYU. To ensure timely processing of funds, please send funds at least one month prior to the start of the semester. Note that due to holidays, there may be additional delays in processing. Funds are processed on a first-come-first-serve-basis. Processing will not be expedited due to late receipt of the funds. The Financial Aid Office will not hold classes.

Students are notified via Ymessage once funds have been received and processed. Due to a high volume of checks, any request made to the Financial Aid Office to verify your funds have arrived will not be granted.

Funds received without identifying student information are returned immediately to the granting organization.


For Granting Organizations or 529 Plans

Please make a check payable to Brigham Young University (BYU). If the check is made payable to BYU and the student, the student will need to sign the back before the funds are put on the student's account. Students are given 2 weeks to sign the check before funds are returned to the granting organization.

In the Memo portion of the check or somewhere located with the documents that you are sending to BYU, please include the student’s name and preferably BYU ID # (you may ask the student for this information). If you do not have access to the student's BYU ID #, please provide an alternate way to identify the student (such as date of birth). If you require a particular way of splitting the funds or have set credit/GPA requirements, please also include this in the additional documents with the check.

If your agency requires verification, proof of attendance, financial needs analysis, or a statement of charges,  please email BYU Verifications:

If your agency requires an IRS W-9 form completed, please email Scholarship Processing:

Please mail all checks to:

BYU Off-Campus Scholarships
A-41 ASB
Provo, UT 84602

Wire Transfers

Identifying student information must be provided with the transfer. Funds that cannot be processed will not be held. Please notify BYU within 24 hours (but no sooner) that funds have been transferred. 


529 Plans

529 plan payments will first apply to tuition charges, unless otherwise indicated. Please send a YMessage (or email to as soon as you request money to be sent from a 529 plan. Include details about the agency the funds will be coming from, the amount that was sent, and how the funds are supposed to apply to your BYU student account. It is your responsibility to make sure funds are applied to correct charges. Due to the large amount of savings plan checks we receive each semester, it is impossible for us to survey each student account to figure out what charges the funds are meant to cover.

Any changes that need to be made must be indicated by YMessage no later than 2 weeks after the funds are applied.


Off-Campus Scholarship Policies

Credit Hours and Payment Periods

The BYU Financial Aid Office automatically places the credit hour requirement for off-campus scholarships at .5 credits (less than half-time) and will not require a maintained GPA UNLESS  the granting organization specifies otherwise.

Full-time at BYU for fall/winter is 12+ credits for undergraduate students and 8.5+ for graduate students. The academic year at BYU is as follows: fall semester (August to December), winter semester (January to April), spring term (May to June), and summer term (June to August). 

Unless specified by the granting organization, funds will not be split and will be applied towards the current semester of enrollment (or the next period of enrollment if not currently enrolled). If you, or the granting agency, wishes otherwise, a written request is needed. Students should send a YMessage and the agency should send an email. Changes to an award may only be made twice.


If no minimum GPA is specified by the donor, BYU will release funds for students regardless of their current GPA.


Off-Campus scholarships that have not already been designated to pay specific charges will be used strictly to pay the charges shown below:

  • Tuition
  • Class fees
  • International Studies program fees (for those attending a study abroad program)

Off-Campus scholarship funds that are left over after the above charges are paid are refunded to students beginning the third day of classes of each semester/term. Any other charges on the student account (i.e. housing, meal plan, textbooks, short-term loan, etc.) will remain unpaid and is the student’s responsibility to pay. 

Our office hopes to prevent confusion by giving you more control over how your Off-Campus scholarship funds are used.


If you withdraw, cease enrollment, or do not follow specific guidelines from the granting organization, our office will return funds to the granting organization within 90 days after the end of the current semester. Pending funds will not be held.


If you are going on a mission, it is up to the granting organization to allow scholarships to be deferred. You will need to check with the agency and have them send correspondence to Scholarship Processing,, or to the mailing address, allowing us to hold the funds until the student returns. BYU does not request permission from the donor on your behalf. 

Cost of Attendance

For the university's official Cost of Attendance, please see 'Cost of Attendance'.

Promise to Pay

We do not accept Promise to Pay statements as placeholders for anticipated funds. Funds are not put on a student's account until BYU receives the payment. 


Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA)

Please note that we abide by FERPA and may be limited in the amount of information that we will be able to provide to you, parents and granting organizations. The United States Congress passed the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) in 1974 to afford certain rights to students concerning their education records. The primary rights afforded to students who attend a postsecondary school such as Brigham Young University are the right to inspect and review their education records, the right to seek to have their records amended and the right to have some control over the disclosure of information from the records. Brigham Young University may not disclose information contained in education records without the student’s written consent except under certain limited conditions. (


Off-Campus Scholarships & Tax Deductions

Most Off-Campus Scholarships are NOT tax deductible to donors. Tax laws state that because the scholarship is being given to a specific student, it is not a charitable contribution (this prevents donors from overusing tax deductions.) If the donor wants to make a tax deductible donation they need to do so through the LDS Foundation; however, the money would not go to the specified student.


Independent Study

You are welcome to use your non-BYU scholarship as reimbursement for previously paid for Independent Study courses if you have approval from the scholarship granting organization. To transfer funds to Independent Study, we must have a written statement of approval from your donor (or 529 account holder) and a letter from you listing the courses you wish to take. Funds are not released until we verify Independent Study enrollment. Please note that we can only accept the amount for your course(s) and materials. Any funds in excess of your course fees and materials will be returned to the granting organization.


Vocational Rehabilitation

Your rehabilitation counselor should mail or fax us an authorization form to pay your tuition and any other charges they cover. If your textbooks are covered, your counselor must send a separate authorization form to the Bookstore Customer Accounts Office, 3978 WSC. They can be reached by phone at 801-422-2470.


Military Tuition Assistance

Utah National Guard State Tuition Assistance (STA)

Members of the Utah National Guard are eligible to apply for Utah National Guard State Tuition Assistance. Eligible members are required to apply each semester and are encouraged to apply as soon as they register for classes. Funding is typically not an issue, but due to changes in Federal Tuition Assistance, there has been an increase in the number of students using State Tuition Assistance. For more information about applying for STA or any other questions about the Utah National Guard, contact our on-campus representative:

SFC Bret W. Jackson

220 Daniel H. Wells (ROTC) Building




The BYU Army ROTC department offers two, three, and four year scholarships to students who are eligible. Scholarship winners enroll in ROTC classes and receive leadership training while pursuing a degree in the field of their choice. Scholarships awarded through ROTC pay either the full cost of tuition or room & board. Additionally, scholarship winners receive a tax-free $300-$500 monthly stipend for living expenses and a $600 book allowance each semester. Acceptance of an ROTC scholarship incurs an obligation to serve as an officer in the Active Army or Reserve Component (National Guard/Reserves). For more information, visit ROTC on the web at or contact:

Mr. Jack Sturgeon
220 Wells ROTC Building
(801) 422-7725


Contact Us

To contact us with questions you may call OneStop Student Services at (801) 422-4104, send a message via YMessage, or email us at