Applying for Grants & Loans

To apply for federal student aid, you will need to complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). To have your information sent to BYU, enter BYU's federal school code (003670) when prompted. Completing and submitting the FAFSA is free and quick, giving you access to the largest source of financial aid to pay for college.

  • For the 2016-17 school year (Fall 2016-Summer 2017), submit the 2016-17 FAFSA.

Before you begin you will need the following:

  • Your Social Security Number,
  • Your drivers license (if any),
  • Your W-2s or income statements from the previous year,
  • Your (and parent/spouse) federal income tax return (1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, etc.) from the previous year, or if eligible, utilize the IRS data retrieval tool,
  • Your current bank statements,
  • Your alien registration or permanent resident card  (if you are not a U.S. citizen), and
  • Your FSA ID and password.

The FAFSA provides an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) figure, which is the amount the government determines a family should be able to contribute toward a student's college expenses (this amount is not actually required to be paid). The EFC is used to determine eligibility for need-based aid (e.g. Federal Pell Grants and Direct Subsidized Loans). All data used to calculate the EFC comes from the information you provide on the FAFSA. 


Dos and Don'ts for an Easier APplication Process 

Changing your FAFSA

Do: correct wrong information and update estiamtse once taxes are filed

Do not: Updtae cash/savings or income


Save Time and Energy  by transfering your irs info directly to your fafsa by using the data regreival tool! 

Also remember to write down your username and password 


If you are newly married 

Do Include spouse's financial information. And include monetayr help from parents and/or wedding gifts as untaxed income. 

Don't use your married name on the FAFSA unless it is changed wiht the Social Security Administration. 

For more questions call byu financial aid office at 801-422-4104