Bachelor of General Studies

As a Bachelor of General Studies student, you may be eligible for federal financial aid for courses taken through Independent Study or courses taken on campus.

Independent Study

To determine your federal aid eligibility for Independent Study courses, you must:

  1. Be formally admitted to the BGS program, including completing STDEV 100 out of pocket (no federal aid).
  2. Submit a FAFSA at
  3. Send a message through My Financial Center or meet with a OneStop Counselor for an estimation of your financial aid awards.

**Please note that actual Pell eligibility will be much lower than what FAFSA estimates. FAFSA estimations are based on attending as a regular day continuing student.**

When to register for Independent Study courses

  • Register and pay for Independent Study courses on or after the first day of on-campus classes for fall semester. Courses purchased before this date will not be covered. All courses are purchased out of pocket.

Deadline for completing Independent Study courses

  • The final exam must be requested by August 31 (end of the academic year) in all courses for which financial aid is received. A failing grade will be assigned to any course in which the final is not requested by that date.

Direct Loans for Independent Study Courses

  • Federal loans are available to BGS students who register and pay for 12 Independent Study credits at one time. Students requesting a loan must first meet with a OneStop Counselor by calling 801-422-7075.

Can’t finish the course on time?

  • Financial aid for Independent Study courses may be returned up to 60 days from the date the course was purchased. If all funds are returned, you are no longer required to complete the course by August 31. To begin the process, please send a message through My Financial Center.

On-Campus Courses

Federal aid for BGS students taking on-campus courses is awarded after the add/drop deadline of the semester/term. Tuition must be paid out of pocket or through a short-term loan.

BGS Pell Grants

Max Pell payment is 1/2 of your annual pell award you can take 12 credits of independ study per year or 6 credits on campus per semester. Send a message through my financial center or meet with a onesop counselor for an award estmiation. 


INdependent study disbursements

first disbursement 25% of lessons in every course submitted. Second disbursement 75% of the lessons in every course submtited. 

Send a message through my financial center when it is time for your disbursement!