Veterans & Military Services

The Veterans & Military Services office is the liaison between BYU and the VA. We provide information and a support system for student veterans, dependents of veterans, guard members, and reservists who have done all of the following:

  1. Satisfied all requirements for formal admission to BYU
  2. Been recognized by BYU as regular, degree-seeking students
  3. Applied for VA education benefits

You can contact us at:                                                 Or you can contact VA at:

Veterans & Military Services Office                          VA Western Regional Processing Office
A-160 ASB                                                                     PO Box 8888
Provo, UT 84602                                                           Muskogee, OK 74402-888
801-422-2768                                                               Toll-free: 1-888-GI-BILL-1 (1-888-442-4551)
Monday– Friday 08:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.                          Web site: 
Fax: 801-422-0007

Apply for VA Enrollment Certification

To apply for VA Enrollment Certification, begin by completing and submitting this form.

All the forms you will need to apply for benefits may be obtained online at An eligible veteran or dependent must submit the appropriate application form along with any required supporting documents. For veterans, these documents include the member four copy of your DD-214; for reservists, a copy of your DD-2384 Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) and kicker agreement, if applicable.

Certification Policies

BYU will certify your enrollment to the VA for each semester or term that you request it. Only classes that meet University Core (General Education) and Major requirements can be certified (classes for a Minor cannot be certified unless your Major requires a Minor). There are two exceptions to this general rule regarding applicable courses:

  1. The last semester before graduation, all credit taken can be certified if one or more of the credits satisfy a graduation requirement.
  2. If BYU allows substitutions for program requirements, VA will allow substitutions if they are approved by the college and documented in the student's VA file.
Certification of Enrollment for Undergraduate Programs
VA Classification Fall or Winter Spring or Summer Term
Full-time 12.0+ credit hours 6.0+ credit hours
Three-quarter time 9.0-11.5 credit hours 4.5-5.5 credit hours
Half-time 6.0-8.5 credit hours 3.0-4.0 credit hours
Less-than-half time 0.5-5.5 credit hours 0.5-2.5 credit hours


Certification of Enrollment for Graduate Programs
VA Classification Fall or Winter Spring or Summer Term
Full-time 8.5+ credit hours 4.5+ credit hours
Three-quarter time 6.5-8.0 credit hours 3.5-4.0 credit hours
Half-time 4.5-6.0 credit hours 2.5-3.0 credit hours
Less-than-half time 0.5-4.0 credit hours 0.5-2.0 credit hours