Using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool
The IRS Data Retrieval Tool automatically pulls your tax information from the IRS into your FAFSA. We highly recommend using the tool for a smoother financial aid process.
Why should you use the tool?
- Guarantees that the most accurate tax information is submitted.
- Reduces the chance of being asked to complete the verification process.
- If you are selected for verification, it's the easiest way to complete any "Tax Transcript" task.
Who can't use the tool?
- if you are married, but filed as 'single' or 'married-filing separately' for the requested tax year
- if you filed too recently (within 3 weeks of attempting to use the tool)
- if you filed a Puerto Rican or foreign tax return
These instructions assume that you have already submitted a FAFSA.
- Log in to www.fafsa.gov with your FSA Username and Password.
- Click 'Make FAFSA Corrections'.
- Click on the 'Financial Information' tab. Select 'Already Completed' for the tax return filing status and answer the eligibility questions.
- If you are eligible to use the tool, you will click on the 'Link to IRS' button.
- If you are not eligible to the use the tool, go here for instructions on how to order a Tax Return Transcript.
- You will leave the FAFSA website and enter the IRS Data Retrieval Tool website. Enter the requested information and click 'Submit'. Remember to enter your address exactly as it appeared when you filed your taxes.
- Due to increased security concerns, you will not be able to see the specific data being transferred from the IRS. If you are confident that you filed your taxes correctly, you can be confident that the numbers transferred are correct. Check the 'Transfer My Tax Information into the FAFSA' box and click 'Transfer Now'. You will be returned to the FAFSA website. Now that the data is transferred, do not update any fields that say 'Transferred from the IRS' or BYU will not be able to use the information.
- If you are using the tool for both the student and the parent, you will have to complete this process twice. Once under the 'Student Financial Information' section and once under the 'Parent Financial Information' section before resubmitting the FAFSA.
- Continue to the 'Sign & Submit' tab. Follow all of the instructions carefully to submit your FAFSA.