I was selected for verification. What do I have to do?Why was I selected for verification?Do I have to go through the Verification process?How do I submit documents?What is a Tax Return Transcript?Can't I just submit my tax return?Do I have to turn in my W2's if I get selected for verification?Do I have to submit the Independent/Dependent Verification Form electronically?How does my parent get a Net ID?My parent is having trouble creating a Net ID?
- In the task list in My Financial Center you will find links that give you instructions about the documents you need to provide. We recommend you begin completing the verification worksheet first. Then, review the assigned tasks. You can use the DETAILS arrow to see the progress through verification. Once we receive all the documents, we will complete the verification process. Click here for more information.
- Verification is a review process in which the Financial Aid Office determines the accuracy of the information provided on your FAFSA. BYU selects applications based on a specific set of criteria, known common mistakes, as well as randomly, to ensure quality control. If discrepancies are uncovered during verification the Financial Aid Office may require additional information for clarification.
- If you are selected for verification it is required that you complete the process in order for federal aid to be awarded (loans and/or Pell Grant).
Submit copies of documents with your Student ID Number on every sheet using one of the following options:
- In person to OneStop Student Services (D-155 ASB),
- Mail to OneStop Processing at A-41 ASB, Provo, UT 84602,
- Fax to 801-422-0235,
- Attach documents to a message in YMessage. Make sure you scan both sides of each page of your document, and include your student ID number on each page. You can attach up to three documents per message (max size per document is 5 MB).
- A tax return transcript shows most line items from your tax return as it was originally filed, and is only available from the IRS. If you are required to submit a transcript to complete verification, you can request a free tax return transcript online by going to irs.gov. You can order an electronic tax return transcript (in PDF format) or request one to be delivered by mail. If you choose to receive an electronic transcript it can be available to you immediately.
- Starting with the 2012-13 aid year, federal aid regulations no longer allow us to accept a copy of your tax return. Instead, you must request a Tax Return Transcript from irs.gov. , or use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool on the FAFSA.
- To avoid having to request a Tax Return Transcript, use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool when completing the FAFSA, or return to your FAFSA and make a correction using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool.
- In some cases W2’s are needed to clarify differences between wages listed on the tax form and the FAFSA. You do not need to turn in W2’s unless you have a required task telling you to do so.
- Although we recommend submitting the form electronically, there is an option to print the form. To sign the paper version complete the online Independent/Dependent Verification form, click 'submit', and then print. Submit the signed form to OneStop Student Services (D-155 ASB).
- Click here to create a Net ID.
- Continue through the process by giving the information required on each screen. (Note: in order to sign the verification form your parent is required to provide social security number, name, and date of birth when creating a Net ID).
- Write the Net ID and password down, as you are likely to need it again in the future.
- Call the Registrar's Office at 801-422-2631 for help creating a Net ID.